So you want to keep your comments in your Periscope videos? Periscope won't do it for you? There is a basic way to do this.
There is an easy solution, just screen record the playback of your periscope using QuickTime. If you don't need to know any more than that, ignore the rest of this blog post. If you don't know how to do it, look at this link.
The information below is to tell you to take certain things into consideration.
- I have to do this everyday btw because I make scopes everyday and because of the 24 limit with videos on periscope, thats fine for me as I can be regimented with this, if you are normally not, beware of the 24 hour time limit please.
- You need to have some sort of screen recording software to interface with your iOS device to show on the main computer you're recording to.
- Be aware of the time, if you have a 45 minute scope, its gonna take 45 minutes to record, a 60 minute scope will take 60 minutes and so forth. Again this is helping me produce shorter scopes in length.
- For this setup on iOS you need a computer to suck the screen contents off, you can't screen record on the device itself. Not on iOS anyway, Apple has made sure of that.
- Your phone is out of action while screen recording, make sure you plan the recording accordingly. You are waiting in real time for the recording to do its stuff. You could stop and start the process and create more than one file at a time to edit later, but I don't, I try to record every scope in one go so all I need to do is convert with handbrake and upload. Your workflow will differ.
- If you have a second device to work from that helps with point 5, I have a second phone and iPad, I also have Whatsapp on my computer so i can stay in contact with the outside world. For all intents and purposes your phone is out of action.
- REMEMBER, it's recording the screen and not the video, there is a difference.
- The playback of the video needs to be perfect (the data connection needs to be awesome), otherwise any loading screens will be recorded as well and if you don’t want to edit the video, make sure you are present at the end when the periscope ends otherwise it just keep recording the end of the periscope screen. You got to baby sit the video sometimes.
- On a Mac, do not unplug or plug anything into your USB ports, it kills the screen recording, I don't know why, it does and basically leave everything alone.
- Turn off ALL notifications unless you want text messages and pop ups in your videos. I've turned off all notifications for things like, Facebook Messenger, Periscope and Whatsapp.
- Phone calls kill the process as well and in Hong Kong, random calls for robot diallers is common, fuckers. Sadly on iOS, you cannot kill the phone app. I wish you could, and please don't suggest using DO NOT DISTURB. It doesn't work.
- The files generated will be in the Gigabytes, convert using Handbrake to mp4. Of course, have the disk space available. After the video is on Youtube, I delete everything I converted anywhere. I leave everything in the hands of the Youtube gods.
Just FYI, you can record anybodies scopes as well like this btw.